It’s been exactly a month since I signed up with NovelKnight’s Beat the Backlist Challenge so I thought I’d do a quick check-in! In my initial post I selected 24 books to read, hoping to get at least 2 per month.
In the last month I’ve made it through:
- Death of a Dishonorable Gentleman – Tessa Arlen (2015)
I haven’t posted my review here yet, but I’ve got a short one on LT and on Amazon; not my favorite, though not precisely bad. Just didn’t grab me.
- The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making – Catherynne M. Valente (2012)
A review for this one is forthcoming; in brief, I loved it, and have already ordered the rest of the series!
- The Invisible Library – Genevieve Cogman (2016)
Another upcoming review. It was fun and imaginative; not amazing literature but a good, quick read.
- The Peculiar Miracles of Antoinette Martin – Stephanie Knipper (2016)
I have a spoiler review here; I think it fell short on its potential, honestly, but it was a decent read.
- Rosemary and Rue – Seanan McGuire (2009)
Another series I intend to continue with; as I mentioned in my review it suffers a bit from first-book syndrome, but it’s enjoyable.
- The Storied Life of AJ Fikry – Gabrielle Zevin (2014)
This wasn’t even a little bit like I was expecting; I enjoyed it, and it’s a pleasant, quick read.
I’ve also had one DNF (Did Not Finish) to drop from the list:
- Our Hearts Will Burn Us Down – Anne Valente (2016)
In its place, I’ll be reading:
- Little, Big – John Crowley (2006)
Overall, I’m pretty pleased with my progress- I’m at 25% in my first month! If I can keep up even half this pace I’ll make a significant dent in my TBR backlist in no time.